Book Review #48 - Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike by Phil Knight

 


This book was in my TBR for so long, I don't even remember who recommended it to me, but I surely can recall that I was pretty sure I won't be able to finish it, thinking as it’s not my type. Here, my type specifically means “business”. I don't fit into the business category, but little did I know that everything starts with initial courage and zeal to manage, just like life.

Anyway, on a random day, I decided to give it a try and oh man! This is a perfect package of turbulence, hanging right on the edge of life’s numerous decisions and outcomes. Phil Knight was an unknown personality for me, before reading this piece, and now when I think about it, I totally can live with him on the countrysides of Oregon. He represents a resemblance of every common person, every one of us, who just tried and tried and tried and never fed up with his dreams. Who knew that while running on a long trail, the craziest idea will become a revolution one day. Who knew that a venture with only a 50$ can create history for eternity in the business world. Who knew that dealing with monetary choices, every time on the corner of next ideas will lead to a start of $178 million worth. 

Knight is an extraordinary juggler, but above all, he is a phenomenal story teller. I never got bored, even a single moment, while reading his whereabouts. Though I admit that a few jargons of accounting  were out of my syllabus, who cares, if it’s put subtly with a proper intent. 

I loved the beginning of everything he had explained, while traveling the world. I am sure now, that for taking any huge decision in life, one must seek peace and travel a lot. Phil’s take on humor and wordplays were the best part, because that’s what made his whole journey enduring. 

There were many moments in the book where Knight had showed his extremes - when he didn’t know anything about inequity, when switching jobs were his priorities, when Blue Ribbons got hijacked by constant traumas of banks, when Sarah didn’t return, when Penny stayed, when Woodell became his alibi, when establishing brand became a national need, when expanding factories were tiresome and lots of jetlags, when replying to Johnson’s letters were unbearable, when balancing personal and professional lives became difficult, when being bankrupt and fined millions of dollars were just a side hustles, when experimenting soles and running miles simultaneously became the soul goal. There were many moments captured, which not only showed what the path to business success really looks like, but also showcased the bitter-sweet relationships formed meanwhile. 

This memoir is so easy to grasp and effortlessly readable. What I really loved the most was the pattern of ending Knight had done. He literally gave a nice and tender ending to his lifetime memories, with a tint of few regrets and umpteen mistakes. I cried, yes, at the end. Because of the whole adventurous trip. Because of the entire cinema of one’s take of being successful and then finally achieving it gradually. He had beautifully presented a thought at the end that even after finishing all his bucket list, there was something left he always felt. And showing his life, through his eyes, will be his next big move. Maybe his next bucket list!

I recommend everyone to read his dream, his swoosh, his God of victory. JUST DO IT! 

Top post on Blogchatter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does FREEDOM mean to me?

The importance of mentorship in the next generation’s lives

Navratri Bloghop