Book review #57 : The Last Queen by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni


Chitra Banerjee never fails to show the mysteries of women, behind every male-dominated story. “The Last Queen” is one such diamond from the historical events of ancient India. Author has gracefully and bravely described all the faces of a common girl, rising from ash like Phoenix. 

This book is divided into those stories of the last queen of Punja, Rani Jindan, who was a symbol of intelligence, wit, devotion and humor. Through “behind-the-scenes” coverage of evergreen ballads of famous kings, you will get to know the different side of the tale through Jindan’s eyes. This story is a simple life’s journey of Mayi Jindan, from a daughter/sister who was an epitome of innocence and love, to the mother who dedicated her last breath for patriotism. Honestly, I couldn’t put the book down once I started. Everything was surreal, like a real life story in front of my eyes, beyond the grand walls of Sheesh Mahal. I thoroughly enjoyed the intricate details of places, events, costumes, food, legacies, dreams and the political war described by Chitra. 

Few dialogues are so epic and to the point that I couldn’t resist myself mentioning here, like
  • “love something—or someone—so much that you would willingly sacrifice yourself. I want to be brave like that.”
  •  “Fame: it’s a drug more potent than opium”
  • “This is the tragedy of Hindustan: our disunity. Our enemies have used it against us over and over.”

I always enjoyed Chitra’s work, and that’s why I picked up this one. And she didn’t disappoint me. Because of her, I got to know another version of Kohinoor’s journey. It’s because of her I got to know about Guddan, Mangla, Avtar, Chanda, Maahi, and so many women who are generally ignored by men, while writing the historical facts and contributions. I was amazed by the fact that how craftily Jindan’s character was showcased, about the anger against Bristishers. 

We need more ordinary tales of women from the usual kind of victories by men. I totally recommend this book to everyone.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does FREEDOM mean to me?

The importance of mentorship in the next generation’s lives

Navratri Bloghop