Book Review #66 : बहुत दूर कितना दूर होता है by Manav Kaul

 

This book feels like I found a lost companion(or a personal diary) of a traveling man, in which every experience is expressed with a homely touch. I haven’t read Manav’s work before, but after reading this piece, he had won one more reader. 

Initially I struggled a bit, because I am not proficient in reading Hindi fast, but I expected to listen to his story faster in my mind. Carrying this dilemma, sometimes I took pause as well to grasp the surroundings, that compelled me to think about my traveling days’ memories. The title बहुत दूर कितना दूर होता है has so much depth in it that I created innumerable answers for this statement in my mind. I asked people around how they perceive this statement in general. Some relate it with the bond we carry, some relate with the time we are left with to live, some just couldn’t form words to explain. For me, I think I come up with my version with a pinch of longingness of my heart i.e. If you consider someone detached with you, no matter how close you are living, you will feel a dark loneliness around that person as if you are a stranger. But with correct mindset and understanding, even ten thousand miles seem nothing between the bond you share with your loved ones. That was my take on the book, before reading.

But as soon as I kept exploring the realms of Manav’s various destinations, he unfolded his perspectives into the platter for all readers. He properly explained how being nothing, doing nothing can give so much pleasure at one place, and similarly it can be cathartic with the same routine in another place. You never know! It’s all about people around, the music of nature, varieties of artworks to relate with and of course a decent place for coffee and croissants. His long journey tales, stays and transportation plans, hosts and old friends, strangers and strange lovers, everything was spontaneous and relaxing at the same time.  

What I love about this book is its ability to present the raw facts about traveling. Every detail was meant to represent a normal human being’s reaction to nature. I felt like I was experiencing the same journey as his. I felt like I was in front of a river, sipping wine and whining about all my life’s issues with a beautiful stranger. His forte to deliver the feelings were exact and naked. 

So, if you miss traveling days or you just want to experience a place you never had been before, I recommend you to accompany Manav through this book. You will love it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does FREEDOM mean to me?

The importance of mentorship in the next generation’s lives

Navratri Bloghop