My bookish confessions


 

If you are expecting something spicy out of this confession, you will be disappointed, because I am too! I am also carrying my thwarted expectations till grave, only to share my quirky reactions of mind with the neighboring skull about my code-of-conduct with books.


So here are my top 9 bookish confessions(NOTE : PLEASE DONT JUDGE ME!) :


  • I looooove to buy books. Books, with crisp white flavorful pages of freshly wrapped ink scents. Books which I can touch and turn to the other side with my hands, not by swiping left or right. Books, which I can hold with a salsa positioned hand. And it’s not over. I love to buy books, even if I have plenty others to read in my TBR! I sometimes wonder what my TBR books must be talking on the shelves and bitching about every new-comer in their neighborhood. I always make a promise with myself after buying books that this should be my last until I wont finish the already-staring-books-at-my-place. And then, with every interesting/wish-list worthy book in the cart, I again convince myself that promises are meant to be broken. This loop keeps repeating and slapping me hard.


  • I generally decide to read books based on two things. First, if I like the title or cover, I instantly make my mind to read it, irrespective of the story plot or author’s status in the market. This is weird I know, but this literally attracts me to hold them at least once. And to hold, I need to buy them, and again step 1 happens with me, haahah. Second, I go by the word-of-mouth review, an old fashioned way. Like if someone from my book people ( Book people are those people on whom I can rely on. Who, if suggests a book, will always be in my favor of genre or interest, and I will love it for sure) recommend something. I will blindly read the book, without even asking for the review and without even googling about them on a digital platform. This is a high risk. But, that’s why there are only a few people whom I call my book people. 


  • Earlier I used to read the whole book, even if I don't like the concept, just because I have started and it will be unfair to the book and author if I leave it mid-way. But now with little experience and anxiety to encounter the guilty ( guilty here refers to the fact that time is less and books are more and I am slow and I need to read more and I should read good), I have decided to read 20% of the book and if I don't find it useful for my taste, I will join hands and move on with heavy heart. It’s quite practical too as I will grab only that information which makes me happy, not because it makes the system-of-reading adequate. Already my mind is filling up and I can’t risk more.


  • I find pleasure in going through people’s reading lists or wish lists. It’s like stalking someone in their closet and judging their choices. (I told you, don’t judge me!)


  • I go to bookstores (Crossword, to be precise), only to be updated with the latest and fancy collections. I don’t buy books there, I just make a note of buying them from somewhere else, less costly. This syndrome is called “middle class fantasy syndrome”. 

  • I hate those people who don’t give me feedback on the book, which I suggested them to read a century ago. You know it's a metaphorical insult. It’s like killing someone with a silent laser tag. 


  • My favorite fun time while reading is analyzing the shift of volume from the left side of the book to the right side of the book. It is a therapy for me, like someone is discovering the unexplored arena of life. 


  • This is quite personal. I make fun of the lines, encrypted in the book, in my mind while reading. I imagine the author talking to me and taking my opinions on them. If I find something touchy, I pause for a moment and start to relate them with my life. If I find something funny, I start to make a note to use them in my conversations sometimes. If I find something revolutionary or a perfect landing of words, I give a standing ovation to the author virtually. This keeps happening with every book I read. So if you find me making faces while reading, then don’t be surprised.


  • I feel victory when I convince a non-reader to read something. I literally fly higher than mountains if I see them turning pages and peeking through words, WHICH I SUGGESTED. Please just give me a medal for that achievement, please ( I constantly plead myself to give rewards for this great accomplishment.)


I will keep on doodling rubbish now, because I have tons of things to discuss. So, keeping a good girl check, here I am, showing all the ink-sides of my confession. Let me know yours. How much do you have related to mine, and what’s your strange confession?


This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon 2023

Comments

  1. As always another relatable post. Yes girl, we have been to Crossword together and we did check books and so much of fancy stuff like stationery and journals but we did not buy anything because we wanted to pick them from Amazon in our budget and this is so just we!! I find this absolutely normal, I am sure not just the middle class does but even the rich. I can vouch. There have been many a times when I never got feedback of books which I suggested and hence I stopped suggesting books until unless I get to hear from someone that they have read the book and we can have a discussion otherwise I don’t think we bookworms deserve this kind of bookish insult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the confessions, stealing the term "middle class fantacy syndrome!"!! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also rely on my book people for new book recommendations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quick to add a book to my TBR if I like the title and the cover of the book. I have almost stopped reading blurbs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What does FREEDOM mean to me?

The importance of mentorship in the next generation’s lives

Navratri Bloghop